Saturday, October 7, 2023

Citadel F2 Fighters: Proof of Concept Paintjobs

I've decided to give the Old World Army Challenge another shot next year, with a fresh army - a 3rd Edition Warhammer Fantasy Battles Empire army, with a Halfling Allied Contingent. The premise being that these are the defenders of a small, obscure village on the outskirts of the Province of Averland, there's only going to be a handful of regular army troops and a much larger number of irregular militia types. Wargames Foundry has been kind enough to reissue a couple packs of classic Citadel F2 Fighters and F4 Mercenaries, which will make up the bulk of this militia; I grabbed a few original F2 Fighters off eBay a while back to bulk that regiment out further if need be, but decided I'd paint two of them up as proof of concept.

F2 Altdorf Sergeant

These are painted with some GW Contrast paints in conjunction with regular acrylics from Reaper and Vallejo. I wanted to see if I could produce results that I was happy with, faster than I would with regular acrylics alone. And overall, the answer is yes; I painted these guys over the span of three short painting sessions, maybe 3 1/2 hours total from start to finish, including basing. 

F2 Imperial Foot Soldier

I did a bit of work here that I probably won't do on the army itself, like taking the time to paint eyes. But striped leggings, dirty leather armor (GW Snakebite Leather contrast, washed with Agrax Earthshade, then highlighted with Vallejo Plague Brown), gin-blossomed noses all feel very on brand, especially for the militia. I'm imagining they've been recruited straight from the tavern, too drunk to realize they've accepted the "Elector Count's shilling" until it's too late.

1 comment: