Friday, December 24, 2021

Wasteland Warriors: Annette's Gang, and some Holiday Cheer

 Last figures for the year; I'm packing up my painting desk (i.e., the back half of our dining room table) tonight and leaving it be until after New Year's. 

Wiley Games' Post-Apocalyptic variant, "Wasteland Warriors," is one I'd like to do more with in the new year; it's very influenced by the likes of Gamma World, Thundarr the Barbarian and Kamandi: Last Boy on Earth, which is a lot more fun than some of the other post-apocalypses out there. 

 

Digging into my box of primed but unpainted figures, I pulled out some Mark Copplestone-sculpted Future Warriors, originally from Grenadier but now produced by Forlorn Hope Games. I supplemented these with a Female Mercenary from Mark Copplestone's own Future Wars line (effectively an extension of the older Grenadier line) and a Reaper Troglodyte from their Bones line. Just like that, I've got a gang of wasteland warriors!

These are very quick and dirty paint-jobs, mostly just basecoat and wash with a minimum of highlighting, but they're effective and get the job done. I went a little bit more in-depth with the Troglodyte - gave him the full Reaper Triad of Stormy/Cloudy/Misty Gray, then glazed his back with GW Guilliman Blue and his throat and gills with GW Bloodletter. I'd just like to add that he was a bit of a bitch to get the mold-lines off, and some remain in place because I was shaving off scales trying to remove the mold-lines. 



All in all, about two nights' work that I'm pretty happy with. And finally, since it is Christmas Eve...

This is a Scibor Miniatures' "Christmas Snowman Slayer" Dwarf, which was gifted to me as part of a painting group I'm in; it is the first resin figure I've ever assembled and painted, and it gave me some challenges - I realized just now I'd glued the ice-skate blade to his halberd on upside down, and the spike on the back shattered trying to remove it from its sprue. I decided to go for a grubbier, less-pleasant Santa vibe; more "Billy Bob Thornton in BAD SANTA" than anything else. Hence the alcohol-induced rosacea on his nose and cheeks, and I used GW Seraphim Sepia to stain his fingers and beard as if from heavy nicotine use. Not sure how much comes through in the photo, but I'm pleased enough with how he turned out.


So that's it for me for 2021. Happiest of holidays, whichever you may celebrate, and may 2022 bring you games and painting time aplenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment