Sunday, December 21, 2014

Going Mad with Cthulhu; Charging Forward with A.R.M.Y.M.E.N.

I'm currently a little frustrated with my Reaper Bones Cthulhu project; it's still the same old story, a fight for love and glory, a case of do or die...ahem.  Sorry, CASABLANCA flashback there.  As I was trying to say, it's the same story many painters have had regarding Bones; getting the paint to stick.

I primed the head and body separately because I wanted to be able to paint a lot of the detail in the head without straining my wrist holding up the entire figure.  Even though I primed them the same way, at the same time, in the same conditions, the body is completely fine, but the head is tacky and flaking.  I tried putting the head in baking soda, as was recommended to me, for 24 hours (I ended up giving it 72 because I haven't had much time to work on painting lately), to alleviate the tackiness and this doesn't seem to have done anything.

I'm going to have to think on this.


In other news, the first draft of my Accessory Rules Making Your Military Escapades Nerdy has completed, and comes to 15 pages including "identifying your troops" photos.  I've got a couple friends interested in helping playtest the game, which I find heartening.  I decided to splurge on playtest materials; instead of going to my local junk shop and buying a $1 bag of badly-cast, detailless army men made from brittle plastic, I spent a bit more and ordered some better-detailed, well-cast Greens and Tans, as well as a couple vehicles,  I also did a quick walk-through my local pet store to check out the plastic aquarium plants for sale - I'll be back on my next paycheck to pick up a few I can build a forest from.

As an aside, while I have Amazon Prime and can get free two-day shipping, that would put my delivery date for my stuff at December 24th.  My dad's a mail carrier, and I know what hell this time of year is for them.  I'm not about to put more work on my mail carrier, so I opted for a slower delivery and so won't be playtesting until around the first of the year.

If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll put up the playtest rules for A.R.M.Y.M.E.N. up for download.


  1. Sorry to hear about the bones material, I ended up coating mine in a Vallejo matt varnish to try to give a key for the paint - seemed to do the trick.

  2. I actually ended up trying gesso, which worked wonders. It worked so well in fact, that if asked to paint a second one of these, I wouldn't say no.