Work has been continuing at an excellent pace on my Reaper Cthulhu - in fact, by the time you read this, I'll have completed work on him. Yes, my painting is happily outpacing my blogging, but I wanted to stop and show you some "in progress" shots.
First off, a good shot of the tonal changes on his belly and thighs:
Next, a headshot, showing the color gradients from back of skull to tentacles:
His nails have been done; it doesn't show up real well here, but they're a very dark gray, not quite black:
And this is the beginning of something a little sneaky; I decided that I didn't want my Cthulhu to just be simply green...I wanted some patterning to him, something inspired by nature. My first thought was a fine stippling with a dark green down the spine, but that morphed a bit...