Friday, September 18, 2026

More Seedy Terrain

 I've been very up front that my modern terrain collection is based very heavily on the Rust Belt surroundings I've spent my entire life in. Buildings are run-down, poorly maintained, businesses cater to rougher, less-affluent clientele. Nothing is classy or upscale. 

Which brings me to my latest completed building from Atomic Laser Cut Designs. This is "Retail Store RS1A," which I ended up with two of; Vince at ALCD sent me a complimentary one as a thank you for showing off photos of my finished Urgent Care, which arrived just hours after I ordered one for myself. The complimentary one became my Liquor Store, and now here's the one I bought. 

 

You remember the bit in the movie Beetlejuice, where Beetlejuice makes a strip club ("Dante's Inferno Room") manifest on Alec Baldwin's model train table, and Geena Davis gets mad at Alec Baldwin about it? That scene will forever play a part in my deciding what buildings to add to my terrain collection. 



 Signs are all printed paper as usual, and the graffiti on the exterior walls are all decals from Dave's Decals. Similarly, the curtain in the window is an image taken off an Amazon listing for curtains and printed at my local Office Max. The name and color scheme are a nod to the "Adult Galaxy" superstore on Niagara Falls Boulevard, just minutes from my house, which sits snugly between an Urgent Care and the "Weed King" cannabis dispensary. 


 The interior has some shelves and a check-out counter, also produced by Atomic Laser Cut Designs. I grabbed some posters for vintage adult films, rescaled them and printed them to decorate the walls, and I printed another poster advertising "Welfare Wednesdays" at a strip club and added it to the back room. 



 The floor is printed paper as usual, though a different wooden floor design than I've used in other buildings. There was a bit of a saga there - I'd initially cut the paper floor and pasted it to the wrong side of the base, necessitating cutting a second one to glue to the right side. The second one wasn't quite a perfect fit, so there's spots along the wall where you can see the underlying painted MDF. 

Somehow, I don't think I'll be bringing this one to public-facing events! 

 

Miniatures Acquired: 214

Miniatures Painted: 222

Terrain Acquired: 5

Terrain Painted: 10

Scatter Acquired: 9

Scatter Painted: 16

 

No comments:

Post a Comment