Last year I pre-ordered the 2026 Winged Fallen One from Andy at Heresy Miniatures. I've been a fan of his demon sculpts for a very long time - I can remember ogling the all-metal Netherlord close to 20 years ago, long before I had the skills to tackle such a beast - and when I saw this one come up I knew I wanted it, could afford it and had the skills (mostly; I'm still not super experienced with resin figures) to tackle it.
As an aside, if you're thinking of getting one, order soon; Andy's been dealt a full hand of trouble over the past few years and Heresy may not be open much longer, which would be a profound loss to the hobby.
I decided to paint this fiend up as the "Atrocity," the final boss of a "When Nightmares Come" casefile; as such, if all goes according to plan, he'll be appearing on my table fighting the Webster Street Irregulars on Halloween.
I bought a bundle version that came with 5 different sets of horns, two right arms, and three or four left arms; not all of these pieces are currently available; looks like the sword-holding right hand may not be available at present. After Tim Curry passed away, I had to assemble this massive fiend with the huge, sweeping horns reminiscent of Curry's appearance in the movie "Legend."
The fit is pretty spectacular; Andy got really ingenious with how the parts were separated for casting, ensuring most pieces fit together in ways that hide the join.
Color-wise, I did some thinking about his clothing, because I didn't want it to just be black cloth. With him being draped in a stole, I eventually decided on a color scheme that would give a sense of him dressing in mockery of traditional liturgical vestments. I think it works out pretty well.
I'm not going to lie, I'm seriously thinking about picking up a copy of the wingless version to compliment this one.
He's on a 40mm round base, and I've got some resin flame bits on the way that I'm going to add to the base; while the lesser demons on based on my normal grassy bases, with the idea being that they've been summoned to Earth from Hell, I decided on ash and flames for their boss - he brings a little bit of Hell with him when he appears.
I've finished a few more things as well for my When Nightmares Come game:
I needed a few more rat swarms to serve as the lowest level of enemies, and cobbled these two out of some leftover rats from a set of 3D printed resin swarms from Green Stuff World; I've got a few singular rats left still but not enough to make another swarm base like these. Technically I should have two more swarms beyond these (these put me at 8, should technically have 10), but I think I can make this work. Worst case scenario, I ordered a set of rats along with the flame bits so I can make more if I want.
And finally, a pair of 3D printed two door sedans from Miniature Tanks - though frustratingly, this model, the "Volkswagen Golf Mk 2" seems to have disappeared from their site in the three months since I ordered it! These will be set dressing for When Nightmares Come and other modern-set games.
Simple paintjobs befitting terrain.
So let's update the tracker:
Miniatures Acquired: 214
Miniatures Painted: 225
Terrain Acquired: 5
Terrain Painted: 10
Scatter Acquired: 9
Scatter Painted: 18







No comments:
Post a Comment