Friday, July 31, 2026

Pop Culture Heroes

 A few more finished figures today, all of them more heroic types based on pop culture from the 1980s and 1990s. Let's run them down from best-recognizable to least, shall we?

First up is "Action Hero B" from Crooked Dice, pretty immediately recognizable as David Hasselhoff in the role of Michael Knight on the TV show Knight Rider. I've never watched the show myself (though I'm generally a fan of the Hoff), so I had to pull up some screenshots for outfit colors.


 Next up, the Muscles from Brussels - a street fighter from a line that Crooked Dice absorbed, which is pretty clearly intended to look like Jean Claude Van Damme. I based the outfit on the one he wears during the dance scene in 1989's KICKBOXER. 

Next, Van Damme returns - this figure, from the same pack as the previous, had a similar look and cut to his outfit as the figure above, so I went for a very different color scheme. Now, we've got Van Damme as Colonel Guile from the 1994 STREET FIGHTER movie. I saw this one in theaters as a kid (which is weird because I was 7 and wasn't a video game player - maybe Dad just wanted to see a Van Damme movie and I was his excuse?) but didn't remember much about it. Watched it last year when the new movie was announced and had a lot of fun with how corny it is.

 

One thing that caught my eye when looking at reference photos for this was that his American flag tattoos are "backwards" from the way they should be facing, which I dutifully recreated here. 

Finally, a Ninja from Reaper's "Chronoscope" line that's been in my project box for years. I opted to paint him as caucasian and wearing a white ninja outfit - thus making him Cole (Franco Nero's character) from the 1981 film ENTER THE NINJA. I might get a second copy and paint him in traditional black with a red belt, to represent Michael Dudikoff's character from the film AMERICAN NINJA.


 So what's the plan for these? Well, I do want to get back to Fistful of Kung Fu one of these days and have actual martial artist miniatures on the table for it. Plus, my local gaming convention Running GAGG has a "Pirates vs. Ninjas" theme announced for next year's show, and I think it'd be fun to put on a demo game there and call my event "Oops, Too Many Ninjas" or something like that. 

 

Miniatures Acquired: 184

Miniatures Painted: 192

Terrain Acquired: 2

Terrain Painted: 8

Scatter Acquired: 8

Scatter Painted: 10

 

No comments:

Post a Comment