I've been pretty effusive in my praise for Atomic Laser Cut Designs' MDF kits, and have built several of them. Well, I posted pictures of my Urgent Care on Facebook and tagged the company in the post, and Vince, the owner, was pleased enough with my work to send me a complimentary copy of one of the latest kits - a long, narrow retail space with a small back room and a trap-door in the roof in addition to the normal front and back doors. As soon as I saw the design, I knew it'd be perfect for a liquor store - one of the businesses I'd been wanting for my table but hadn't found an option I was happy with for yet.
I started off with a spray of Montana Gold "Sahara Beige" for the exterior, picking out the bricks first in a raw sienna craft paint, then doing singular bricks in shades of brown and tan. My usual lost dog posts and "No Entry - Staff Only" signs are on display as well, along with some Greenstuff World graffiti decals. The sign over the front door is printed paper, cut to fit over a 50x25mm Renedra flat base painted black.
I didn't bother with a printed paper floor this time, in part because the gray spraypaint I put down with on splotchy and with a lot of texture. Bare concrete floor it is!
The interior walls were primed white and painted with a bottle of craft paint called "Sea Glass," a very pale blue-green tone. I printed a bunch of alcohol ads scaled down to serve as posters on the walls, along with "No Refunds" and "No Sales to Under-21s" signs. I need to get a counter for the store, but once I do it'll go right in front of where these signs are hung.
The backroom has a pallet and stack of cardboard boxes, both of which I pulled out of a Mantic Terrain Crate set - "Abandoned Factory." To this I added a pair of 3D-printed boxes I had laying around.
What's in the boxes? Who knows - there might be "business" being conducted in the back room unrelated to liquor sales...
More furniture to come - I'll need to get some shelves and a counter at the very least. But considering that I basically dropped everything (except the zombies, which I mostly painted at my usual Monday night paint-hangouts) to start this kit immediately, I think I've done a pretty good job.
It's a little different from previous ALCD kits I've built - the base plate is different, lacking the front sidewalk and with the walls plugging flush into the edges of it instead of slotting into holes cut into the base. It's not bad, just takes slightly more effort to ensure the walls line up with each other. I've got a second one, because I ordered a copy of this kit before I knew Vince was sending me a complimentary one!
Miniatures Acquired: 184
Miniatures Painted: 168
Terrain Acquired: 2
Terrain Painted: 8
Scatter Acquired: 8
Scatter Painted: 10







No comments:
Post a Comment