Sunday, April 26, 2020

Recent Reapers

I've invested pretty heavily in the Reaper Bones 5 Kickstarter, but still have a fair amount I picked up as part of Bones 4 to complete.  Here's a couple pieces I've completed this past week:


First up is the Fertility Idol, released as part of the "Lost Valley" expansion.  Obviously based on prehistoric Venus figurines (especially the Willendorf Venus), she's surrounded by terracotta bowls filled with offerings.  I mounted her on a 3" round base and flocked with Gale Force 9 "Meadow Flock", leaving a bare patch in front where I imagine most supplicants would approach from. 


Next up is the Burrowing Behemoth, a hulking insect-like brute that I'm guessing is based on Dungeons & Dragons' iconic "Umber Hulk" monster.  I've seen some pretty garish color schemes done on this fellow online - including a vibrant purple-pink tone, but decided I wanted something a little more muted.  I decided to think about this monster as an ambush predator, something that sits motionless pretending to be a mossy boulder before striking; the underbelly and arms were done using Reaper's "Uniform Brown," highlighted with "Green Ochre," "Faded Khaki" and a final light brush of "Yellowed Bone." The back and shoulders were basecoated in Reaper's "Jungle Moss," and highlighted with successive drybrushings of "Highland Moss" and "Pale Lichen."



To break things up I basecoated the eyes with Vallejo Fire Orange, and then went over each eye with Vallejo Golden Yellow, leaving a little bit of orange visible around the rim of the eye.  Each eye was then glazed with a couple coats of GW Lamenter's Yellow.  Overall I'm super pleased with how he turned out; he'll be making appearances as an alien monster, post-apocalyptic horror or prehistoric nightmare from the Earth's core as needed in various Fistful of Lead games. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff. The basing on your Fertility Idol is especially top-notch, imho. Great work.

    ReplyDelete