Monday, April 20, 2020

Bolsheviks and a Game

Eesh, It's like I've forgotten how to update this blog.

I haven't done a ton of painting - or at least, I haven't finished many projects lately.  That might be a  more accurate statement.  I have a bunch of figures just waiting for their bases to be painted or flocked. 

I did finish off a squad of Bolsheviks for Fistful of Lead, to use in pulpy games opposite Count Casimir and his White Russians I posted previously.  The Leader, Agent Stransky, is from Pulp Figures, and the rest of the crew is from Copplestone Casting's Back of Beyond range of 1920s Central Asian figures.  I decided to go for a team weapon this time around, and purchased a pack containing a Maxim Gun. 


Once they were varnished (and I got some foam hills I'd ordered in, as I don't have the dedicated workspace available to make my own), it was time to get a game in.  I unrolled a 3' x 3' game mat over our dining room table, threw down some hills and ruined buildings, and came up with a quick scenario - a race to reach and control a sinister ruined temple before the end of the sixth turn.

Initial Set Up
The two teams rushed towards the temple, with the Maxim team moving towards setting up in the nearer set of ruins.  Before long, Commissar Aronovitch was crossing swords with the Count's fencer daughter Yolanda:


And Fireteam Leader Petrov was literally punched to death by Blotsky, the chief of the Count's secret police in the temple:


The game concluded with Stransky facing off against the Count's entire team inside the temple after the Maxim team got into position, set up, and then completely whiffed gunning down the Count.  It did not go well for Stransky.  By the end of the game, Stransky had been shot 5 or 6 times, the Count and his bodyguard Misha were both out of ammo, and Yolanda was prone from a wound. 


All in all it was an evening well spent around the gaming table, even playing solo; the Maxim Gun wasn't a great choice for this game, as it limited the Bolsheviks' ability to put bodies in the temple and once Petrov and Aronovitch were rendered out of action, the game was basically decided. 

3 comments: