Friday, March 15, 2024

Tusk: Ground Sloth Hunt

 It's been a couple weeks since I've gotten anything on the table to play with, or even to paint for that matter. I did get another few sets of prepainted trees from Monster Fight Club, and wanted to get them on the table, so for simplicity's sake I set myself up for a couple rounds of Wessex Games' Tusk. I've got a lot of unpainted cavemen in a box in my closet and I hate playing unpainted, so I used the same batch of Lucid Eye cavemen that I used in my last game back in December. I still don't have a mammoth purchased or painted, but I did find a Reaper Bones giant prehistoric ground sloth that I painted a few years back so that was today's substitute megafauna. 

I played twice, but only took pictures of the first game since my phone was low battery. Both games lasted about 15 minutes and ended with the ground sloth being run down and killed; also in both games, Og the Hero (here portrayed by Lucid Eye's "Muok Mangod") got squished while trying to show off for his tribe. He's got a 50-50 chance of either killing the prey animal in one hit or getting killed himself, and so far on my tables it's been 100% "Og bites it."




 

The one thing I really haven't done that I should do for Tusk is get some fire and smoke markers prepped. Tusk offers rules for cavemen to start fires and try to hem prey in or herd them towards cliffs or marshes to kill them. The fires, once started, spread with the wind and can get out of control, even turn around and and threaten the cavemen.I think that would add a very different tactical element; as is, my painted cavemen run in with their clubs and on a 10+ on 2D6 kill the mammoth/ground sloth/Brontosaurus etc. which makes for very fast games. 

I'm not sure when I'll get more cavemen painted; my wife and I are moving to a new city this summer so I know I'll be winnowing down my collection somewhat over the next couple months to minimize what we're moving. I also want to work on being better about being less of a hobby mayfly and really focus on one project at a time for six months or a year; for 2025 I really want that focus to be on prehistoric wargaming. Tusk, Savage Core, and Mana Press' "Tribal" are all on my list of games I want to try playing with painted cavemen of various types, and I've heard good things about Ganesha Games' "Palaeo Diet" - it's been described to me as "Tusk on steroids" so I'll be picking that up at some point. Cavemen and various prehistoric animals will be a great painting project, plus terrain; not just natural stuff like hills and rocks, but villages, idols, etc.

7 comments:

  1. haha short read but still a good read. love the giant sloth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great figure from Reaper Miniatures' Bones line.

      Delete
    2. haha. I knew that figure looked familiar. well everything looks great.

      Delete
  2. This looks like a lot of fun, great stuff. I hope the move goes well Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! cavemen are always cool. 😁
    really like the giant loth as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stew! I'm really enjoying the act of paleo-wargaming; it's an enjoyably fine line to walk between historicals and fantasy.

      I took the time to get some Cro-Magnons from Lucid Eye cleaned up and glued to bases tonight, and hopefully next week we'll have a warm enough day or two for me to prime them. My wife was also kind enough to order a 3D-printed mammoth for me, so more prehistoric wargaming may be coming to my table sooner rather than later.

      Delete