Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Beginning the Wolf Tribe

 So, I know I said I wasn't sure when I'd start on painting more prehistoric figures, aaaaaand...I've started. Well, getting them cleaned up and glued to bases at least. I've been struggling through a hobby slump - I've only managed to actually get paint on a single piece of scatter terrain this month. Insomnia's been a big issue for me, and that combined with day job and being a caregiver for my wife, who has an autoimmune condition...I don't have a lot of energy left at the end of the day so just sitting down at the hobby desk has felt a bit like scaling Everest lately. 

I've been really fixated on the prehistoric stuff lately - reading through rulesets, examining different companies' offerings in terms of mammoths and mastodons, watching "Quest for Fire" and "Clan of the Cave Bear" - and I'm hoping I can re-invigorate myself by getting work done towards playing more prehistoric games. 

 

Over the past two days, I've gotten 15 figures cleaned (even filing mold lines!) and glued to bases. These are all from Lucid Eye Publications' Savage Core line, and comprise two packs of Cro-Magnon warriors with javelins and atlatls, two packs of "Age of Ice" Amazons with bows (and one blowgun!) and some heroic leader-types. They're all anatomically modern humans (no Neanderthal brow ridges here) dressed warmly in tanned hides and fur cloaks so should mesh together fairly well. I'm calling them the Wolf Tribe, since one of the heroes is the shamanic-looking "Wolf Mother" clad in a wolf pelt. 

The goal is to have a pool of figures I can draw from for any prehistoric wargame I please; I can split these up into two opposing forces for Lucid Eye's "Savage Core" game, for example, or I can treat them as a pool to pull from when building a hunting party for "Tusk" or "Palaeo Diet." And what I've got right here can be a Warlord, two Heroes, and two Formations for Mana Press' skirmish game "Tribal." I've got an eye towards picking up another two packs of Savage Core Cro-Magnons for a more robust Tribal warband.

I'm also considering converting one Cro-Magnon and one Amazon to be holding torches; both Tusk and Palaeo Diet offer rules for starting fires to drive game, and I'd like to be able to play with those rules.

8 comments:

  1. these are gonna be cool. I have to admit I really enjoy the Tusk write-ups. a time period I never really ventured into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've heard from a couple people who have picked it up based on seeing me talk about it. I'm excited to do more.

      Delete
  2. hobby slumps are the worse! though it sounds like you're pretty busy,,,
    Any start is a good start. least you don't need armies of cavemen.
    (cavemen didn't have armies did they?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yeah, a lot on my plate.

      I think my ultimate plan is two tribes of about 20-25 cavemen, so I can do bigger skirmish games like Tribal.

      Delete
  3. Thay look great, Bill - I have had my eye on Lucid Eye (no pun intended!) figures for a while - they are very nice but a bit pricey in my opinion - although doubtless I will get my hands on some of them at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucid Eye's figures are excellent - the alloy they cast in is on the softer side so every spear will arrive bent, just a heads up.

      Delete