Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Expanding My Frozen City

I'm not gonna lie, readers: I'm having some serious cravings to get some Frostgrave going again, and hopefully get a real campaign going.  Mordheim has been fun, but I'm finding I definitely prefer Frostgrave's simplicity and ease of play over the more number-crunchiness of Mordheim.  Both games, though, definitely call for a surplus of terrain on the table; I've described Frostgrave to non-gamers as "Magic Stalingrad," as warbands fight their way block by block through a ruined city.  To that end, I picked up a couple of scenery kits - the "Azyrite Township" and "Blasted Harrowheart" from my local Games Workshop store. 

Both kits came with multiple sprues of goldish-colored plastic to assemble ruined buildings for Age of Sigmar, providing cover to figures standing within 1" of them on the table, with a few sprues being in common between the two sets.  A few of the pieces were a little tricky to clip off the sprues but ultimately I had everything assembled - ten ruined building corners, two of which were two-story, along with a pair of grated trap-doors that I glued down to some spare 50mm square bases - in no time flat. 

The Blasted Harrowheart also gave me some heavy folded cardboard game boards to set the terrain up on, but we'll see if we actually use those; I kind of want to get a neoprene table mat with printed snow and cobblestones for Frostgrave games, but that might be down the road. 

Once everything was assembled, I undercoated the ruins in black and got to work.  I haven't started on any of the big pieces yet, but I've finished off seven of the smaller corner pieces.  Over a black basecoat, I drybrushed craft paint (as these were too big for me to want to use regular hobby paint) - a layer of "Espresso," followed by "Dark Grey" and a final drybrush of ordinary "Grey." Details were picked out in Reaper "Ancient Bronze" and "Blackened Steel," and the bricked-up archways were done with "Misty Gray" for the mortar and "Rust Brown" for the bricks.  I'm only posting pictures of two of these corner pieces, since they all look pretty much the same.





And just for fun, as long as I had these two pieces out, I grabbed a pair of handy figures and shot a quick vignette:


2 comments: