Thursday, October 25, 2018

Golgoth the Eradicator - Olleytoberfest

I think this is the only piece I'm going to get done before Olleytoberfest ends on the 31st.  This is Reaper Miniatures' #02270, "Golgoth, Eradicator," an armored skeleton or wight sculpted by Bob Olley in the 1990s.  The other figures I started this month - "Dragoth the Defiler" and "Carnessa" - I'm not sure I'm inspired enough by the finish.  "Dragoth" is a little bit frustrating because I can't always tell what's armor and what's wrappings on him, and Carnessa is just...not an exciting sculpt, much as I tend to love Bob Ridolfi's undead.  But anyways, back to Golgoth. 

I love this sculpt - I love the flow of the ragged cloak, the way the tattered tunic falls open, the fall of the leather neck-guard attached to the helmet.  There's such a sense of energy and motion in this sculpt that's just wonderful.  He feels like he should be menacing Conan in a Frazetta painting. 


The cloak got a base coat of Reaper's Deep Red over a coat of black primer, followed by a heavy drybrushing of Blood Red to highlight, concluding with a wash of Citadel "Carroburg Crimson" to tone the brightness down and deepen the shadows.  The tunic was base coated with Midnight Blue, highlighted with Twilight Blue, and then given a light wash of "Drakenhof Nightshade."


Bones were given a base coat of Sandy Brown, highlighted with Stained Ivory, washed with Seraphim Sepia and then given a final highlight of thinned down Creamy Ivory. 

The helmet was painted with Ancient Bronze and washed with "Nuln Oil," while the sword and armor plates were drybrushed "Tarnished Steel" and given a wash of Seraphim Sepia to give them a rusty appearance.  Leather bits were picked out in Reaper's Lonestar Leather and washed with "Seraphim Sepia."  Finally, the wooden back of the shield was painted "Shield Brown" and washed with Seraphim Sepia to bring out the wood grain, and the base was painted "Earth Brown" in preparation for flocking. 


Overall I'm really pleased with how he came out and I look forward to (slowly, perhaps) working through the rest of the undead I bought. 

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Bill. The "is it armor or fur" question is always a tough one. Keep cracking on those undead, they look good.

    ReplyDelete