Thursday, September 17, 2026

Cultists for When Nightmares Come

 In Osprey's "When Nightmares Come," enemies come in four tiers: Vermin, Hordes, Terrors, and Atrocity. The Atrocity is singular; that's the big bad vampire lord, the Cthulhu-thing, etc. that's the master villain of the campaign. The other three are recommended to have about 10 each of. My Vermin are going to be the rat swarms and zombies I already have painted. For my Hordes, I'm using Crooked Dice cultists, some of which I already had laying around awaiting my attention. Well, they've now received that attention:

 


 I kept things pretty simple; the robes are VGC "Scarlet Red" washed with GW "Carroburg Crimson," then highlighted with Reaper "Fresh Blood." These seven came, along with a gargoyle, in a "starter cast" pack I got a few years back. 

I also ordered a few more, which arrived yesterday and were immediately cleaned up and glued to bases:


 I've got a few days before the weather's amenable to priming, so I'll get the gaps in the slotta bases filled tonight. I also picked up a couple of Reaper Succubi - these will join the Hasslefree and Heresy demonesses I'd previously painted as "Terrors" in WNC.


 And finally, I completed an MDF bus stop from Atomic Laser Cut Designs:



Nothing fancy, but I'm pleased with myself for putting the acetate "glass" in and then varnishing so that it would look scratched up and dirty - because who's ever seen clean glass in a bus stop?  

I'd already factored the additional cultists into my tally, but I haven't yet added the succubi. Let's get that tracker updated:

 

Miniatures Acquired: 214

Miniatures Painted: 222

Terrain Acquired: 5

Terrain Painted: 9

Scatter Acquired: 9

Scatter Painted: 16

 

10 comments:

  1. Looked for those minis on the Reaper site, and you gotta love the tags they put on things... "zaftig". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest, the chubby succubus is the one that would get me! Sometimes the tags aren't as useful as they could be on the Reaper site, but that's certainly a fun one to see.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking about how hard it would be to take the wings off. :)

      Delete
    3. You're in luck - the wings are separate pieces. You'd have to fill in the sockets with greenstuff is all.

      Delete
  2. Not only the clutists look great, but the next batch looks promising! I like it all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Bill! I love how the cultists turned out. And the bus stop looks like it will be a nice piece, as well. Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! I'm tackling the demons first (these two and a few others), then finishing up the cultists.

      Delete