Saturday, August 22, 2015

A Dearth of Cthulhu, and Murderhoboes Ahead of Me

So it's been a little bit since I've posted here.  Sorry about that.

Cthulhu did not happen at Pulpfest as I'd hoped, due to a lack of players.  It happens, and now I've got a fully prepped adventure for the next con I need to plan for, which is Running GAGG XXI in 2016.

In the meantime, I'm moving full steam ahead with The Upcoming Campaign, a sword-and-sorcery-and-science-fiction campaign using the Sword & Wizardry Core Rules.  The first session, including character creation, will be taking place tomorrow afternoon.

An idea I had last night while tossing and turning in bed, unable to achieve a comfortable body temperature to sleep at (throw off covers, too cold.  Pull threadbare sheet back over me, too hot.  God damn it.) and with my stomach churning over a sub-par burger, which I think I'm going to implement for tomorrow's game, is for there to be "Dungeon Crawl Boomtowns."

In this fantasy world, when a cave complex full of treasure-hoarding monsters or an ancient buried temple is discovered, it triggers a "Rush" (much like the gold rushes and oil booms of our own reality), and hundreds of adventurers, speculators, con-men, grifters, religious crusaders, unscrupulous warlocks, horse thieves, cattle rustlers, henchmen, flunkeys, lackeys, bounty hunters, cut throats and desperadoes flood the area.  Soon a town is erected near the dungeon site to support the booming population; taverns and inns are built, some sort of law is instituted (in the case of my game, it's already there as the dungeon site was discovered near a still-garrisoned border fort), and chapels are built to support the spiritual needs of the adventuring population - though typically not quite the same gods as are worshiped in settled, peaceful areas.

The chapels in boomtowns tend to be dedicated to the likes of Mekla, goddess of swords; Bekhara, mistress of healing; and Samar, goddess of death.  Kovar, the god of war and strength is also a perennial favorite.

I think the boomtowns angle is going to give the campaign more of a spaghetti western feel than straight up Howardian sword-and-sorcery, which is fine by me.  "THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY with swords and mutants" sounds like a damn fun campaign to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment