Monday, January 5, 2015

Gaming in the Frozen North; or, Why I'm Writing Instead of Painting Right Now

It's too cold to paint.  To clarify, not that I can no longer hold a brush between shaking, frost-bitten fingers; my apartment complex actually includes heat with the rent so I can keep my apartment appropriately toasty without breaking the bank.  No, the issue is that I can't go outside and prime anything to paint it because it's 5 degrees during the hottest part of the day.

So I'm moving forward with some role-playing material.  I tend to DM, rather than play (and at this point, I'm not sure I can successfully take off the DM-Hat and put on the Player-Hat, which is fine, because I excel at being the DM), and I tend to run a lot of Cthulhu games and I'm moving more and more in the direction of conspiracy theory, alternate/secret history games.

A few months back I ran a great game set in the Caribbean in 1588 in which the player-characters were agents recruited by the British Crown to investigate some curious Spanish activity.  They ultimately discovered that the Spanish had allied with the Grey aliens from Zeta Reticuli -- in this alternate history, the Roswell UFO crash occurred four centuries early and the wreckage of the flying saucer discovered by Francisco Coronado -- and ended up detonating a load of explosives inside the rebuilt flying saucer, lethally irradiating the Spanish mission settlement of "Buena Rosa" in the process.  I actually started this blog with the intent that I'd use it for post-session reports, but that dropped off after two sessions.  The campaign can be listened to, however, as we recorded it as a podcast.  Look up "Blood and Cannonfire" on iTunes to listen.  If you don't have iTunes, it can also be listened to on my friend Wes' website, The Blood Sprayer.

Now I'm working on recruiting a couple of my coworkers for a follow-up; the people I've asked either primarily play D&D or a variant thereof, or have little to no experience, but plenty of interest, in role-playing games.

The campaign I've decided I want to run and am drumming up interest for?

The PCs are secret agents - "deniable assets," really - recruited by Thomas Jefferson to work behind the scenes protecting the fledgling America from threats foreign, domestic and supernatural and to ensure Americans the liberty to pursue and fulfill their "Manifest Destiny."

Inspirations will include Mike Mignola's "The Amazing Screw-On Head," the Manifest Destiny comic series, Dennis Wheatley novels, Ancient Astronaut flimflam and the various crocks of pseudohistorical conspiracy-mongering shit shown on what is increasingly-inaccurately referred to as "the History Channel."

The game system we'll be using will be the Basic Role-Playing (BRP) mechanic utilized by Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer, and other role-playing games put out by Chaosium.  I like it because it's simple, straight-forward, and I can teach a new player everything they need to know to play the game in under five minutes.  I honestly don't have time these days to study or learn a new ruleset or get myself to the same level of comfort I have with BRP.



So that's where I'm at right now.  More news as it becomes available.

1 comment:

  1. Brrrrr! Hope you get a break soon, it's just dark, damp and miserable down here.

    ReplyDelete